Suggestions to encourage participation in the program
Before Ash Wednesday there are a few steps that may increase attendance and awareness of the program.
- Download the PowerPoint slide to promote the program. This could be displayed on the screen before and after Mass.
- Consider using the Hymn, Bread Broken and Given, used in the Closing Prayer for Masses during Lent. A licence for the sheet music can be purchased through the onelicence site.
- Organise speakers for the end of every Mass. These could be participants from previous programs who could speak in a personal way about what they had gained from the program.
- Ask group leaders to be outside of each Mass to invite/enlist parishioners into their group.
- Place a book at the back of the church so that it can be previewed by parishioners.
- Include the website, www.lentprogram.com, in the bulletin so parishioners can preview the resources online.
- Ask group leaders (or potential group leaders) to come to a short training session. This can be as simple as a 30 minute practical session working through the components or elements of the resource. Start the session with an opening prayer (eg. Passion Sunday). That week there is a ritual with a loaf of bread. Play the video for the ‘Blessed and Given’ segment for Passion Sunday (Ora Duffley). Use the Leader’s Guide from the book as an overview for this session.
- We have A3 sized posters available for only .50c to display on notice boards and doors.
- The weekly prayer cards give parishioners a 'taste' of the program - prayers, Gospel and artwork. These are also available from the online store in packs of 300 (50 cards for each week)